I Was Thinking...About Our Identity

 January 4, 2023

 

I was thinking…about our identity.  Please bear with me on my train of thought as it will probably wind through a couple of things.  In Genesis 2:7 God created Adam and put Adam in the Garden of Eden.  In v.15 scripture says, “The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.” Then after the fall into sin God removed Adam and states in 3:17 “Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘You must not eat from it, “Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat food from it all the days of your life.”  From the beginning of time, men have been wired to be providers.  Deep down in us, provided food, shelter, protection for our families is wired into our identity.

 

Since women were wired to have children, it would make sense that MOST women find their identity in childbearing.  They are nurturing, caring and protective.  I have come across numerous women who are crushed if they cannot have children.  It’s as if their identity is hardwired about having and nurturing kids.

 

So, if a man loses the ability to provide and protect and if a woman is unable to have children does their identity change?  NO!! They are still children of God.  Jeremiah 1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.” Although this was speaking about Jeremiah, the same goes for us.  God new us before we were created and knows us now. 

 

Even though someone cannot provide, protect, bare children, does not mean their identity has changed.  The most important thing to remember is our identity is not in what we can and cannot do or what we can provide or not provide, our identity lies in the fact that we are perfectly and wonderfully created by God.  So…..if we are going to “LOSE” our identity or feel like we lost it because of circumstances, we need to hold fast in the fact that God has our back!!! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I was Thinking...About Criticism

I was thinking about....FREEDOM

I Was Thinking....About Feelings